Caprese Salad. Caprese salad has to be one of my favorite summertime treats. Arrange the tomatoes, cheese and basil on a serving platter. Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients; drizzle over salad.
Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl or cruet. So I make my Caprese Salad with a vinaigrette for the main dressing then drizzle it with a balsamic glaze for an extra burst burst of flavour just before serving. The Dressing that everybody thinks of as Caprese Salad Dressing is a balsamic glaze, also known as balsamic reduction. You can make Caprese Salad using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Caprese Salad
- It’s of ripe tomatoes, sliced (Roma tomatoes are great for this).
- Prepare of fresh mozzarella, sliced.
- It’s of fresh basil (whole leaves).
- You need of extra virgin olive oil.
- It’s of crushed or grated garlic (optional).
- Prepare of red wine vinegar or lemon (optional).
- It’s of salt and pepper.
- It’s of crusty bread (optional).
The lovely Italian salad of sliced tomato, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil leaves gets a drizzle of sweet, tangy balsamic vinegar reduction for a gourmet summer treat. Caprese Salad or Insalata Caprese or tomato, mozzarella and basil salad is a cult dish of Italian cuisine. The first printed mention of the Caprese salad was on a menu at the Hotel Quisisana. After the initial positive response, Caprese salad was enjoyed by many but failed to really catch fire.
Caprese Salad step by step
- If using garlic: Pour olive oil into a small bowl, add garlic and mix together to season the oil..
- Slice the tomatoes and mozzarella so they're about the same thickness..
- Arrange the tomatoes on a pretty serving plate, and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Drizzle a bit of the olive oil over top..
- Place mozzarella on top of the tomatoes, salt and pepper lightly, then drizzle a bit more olive oil on top..
- Top with fresh basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil. Add a splash of red wine vinegar or lemon if using. (As you can see, I love lots of garlic!) Sop up the olive oil and juices with fresh bread. Enjoy..
At that point, the rest is history! By using colorful heirloom tomatoes, I turned a simple Caprese salad into a gorgeous side dish! I use big tomatoes, cherry tomatoes and everything in between, plus fresh, pillowy mozzarella and lots of basil. An easy way to toss together this delicious vegetarian appetizer and perfect for sharing – or for keeping the whole bowl to yourself. Basil gives this a fresh taste and the flavors meld together for a delicious, crowd pleasing dish.