Beef Vegetable Soup. Mix beef broth and beef stew meat in a large pot over medium heat. Stir corn, green beans, tomato sauce, and tomato paste with the beef. For my first ever beef vegetable soup it actually came out pretty good.
Stir in bouillon, salt, pepper, thyme and bay leaves. Remove beef bones and bay leaves from broth. Soup from scratch requires making stock from bones, chopping vegetables and an all day simmer. You can have Beef Vegetable Soup using 25 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Beef Vegetable Soup
- It’s of the broth.
- You need 3 lb of bone in short ribs.
- It’s 1 of onion cut in 4 chunks, peeled.
- You need 3 of garlic cloves, peeled, kept whole.
- You need 2 stalks of celery with leafy tops, cut into chunks.
- Prepare 1 of large carrot, cut into chunks.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dryed thyme.
- You need 1/2 tsp of pepper and salt to taste.
- Prepare 10 of whole black peppercorns.
- It’s 8 cup of low sodium or unsalted beef broth.
- Prepare of soup.
- You need 6 oz of tiny button mushrooms, whole or cut in half.
- Prepare 15 oz of can diced tomatos with the juice.
- Prepare 4 of medium carrots, sliced.
- It’s 3 of celery stalks, sliced.
- You need 1 of large onion, chopped.
- You need 2 of garlic cloves, minced.
- You need 24 of tiny baby red potatoes, preboiled just until tender, diced or sliced.
- Prepare 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice.
- It’s 1 tbsp of hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot brand.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of pepper and salt to taste.
- Prepare 1 tsp of butter, salted or unsalted.
- You need 2 tbsp of fresh grated romano cheese.
- It’s 2 tbsp of fresh chopped herbs, I used basil, thyme and chives.
First, choose ground beef, a quick-cooking, but hearty, meat option. Ground beef is simmered with diced red potatoes, corn, green beans and carrots in tomato-vegetable juice cocktail in this easy soup. This homemade vegetable beef soup recipe combines beef stew meat with traditional frozen vegetables to create a hearty meal the whole family will enjoy. If using chuck roast, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Beef Vegetable Soup instructions
- MAKE BROTH: Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat oil in a large skillet, add short ribs seasoned with salt and pepper, and brown all sides..
- Add vegetables for the broth; onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme, pepper, salt, and peppercorns. Transfer to oven and roast until short ribs are brown, about 25 minutes..
- Transfer all skillet ingredients to stockpot, add broth, bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer, partially cover pot and simmer on low until short ribs are very tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours..
- Strain broth, discard vegetables and reserve short ribs..
- MAKE SOUP: Skim off any excess fat from broth and add broth to clean stockpot, bring to a simmer. Meanwhile melt the butter in a small skillet and cook mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, tomatos with juice, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, lemon, hot sauce and pepper to stock, simmer until vegetables are tender about 1 hour, add potatos and romano cheese and simmer 10 minutes more..
- Remove meat from bones of short ribs and cut meat into bite size pieces and add to soup, heat through, add herbs and taste to see if it needs salt or pepper. Serve and enjoy..
Place the beef cubes in a large stockpot. So many beef soups are watery and dull. The thing that sets this beef soup recipe apart from the rest is the broth. It's slightly thickened so it's more like a thinnish gravy. It's infused with herb flavour and also gets an extra depth of flavour from the secret ingredient: red wine.