Apple Turnovers. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Drain water from apples, and place them into the hot skillet. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until a ball forms.
Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until bubbly. In small bowl, mix flour, granulated sugar and salt. Combine the orange zest and orange juice in a bowl. You can make Apple Turnovers using 12 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Apple Turnovers
- You need 2 tbsp of Lemon Juice.
- You need 4 cup of Water.
- You need 4 each of Granny Smith apples.
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 cup of Brown Sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of Ground Cinnamon.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Cornstarch.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Water.
- It’s 1 each of (17.25 ounce) Package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed.
- It’s 1 cup of Confectioner's suger.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Milk.
- It’s 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract.
Classic apple turnovers are an easy fall treat everyone should make at least once. Of course, once you've tried them, they're sure to become a recipe you'll make over and over again. With their flaky puff pastry crust and spiced apple filling, these turnovers are like little grab-and-go apple pies. If you use already-prepared frozen puff pastry or folded pie crust, the apple turnovers will be a snap to make, they will look pretty, and the crust will have lots of buttery layers.; If you use a homemade butter crust (pâte brisée), which is really not so hard to make, your pastry will taste wonderful, and may even be flaky, but not filled with puffy layers.
Apple Turnovers step by step
- Combine the lemon and 4 cups water in a large bowl. Place the sliced apples in the water to keep them from browning..
- Melt utter in a large skillet over medium heat Drain water from apples and place them into the hot skillet and stir for about 2 minutes..
- Add brown sugar and cinnamon to skillet with apples and stirr for about 2 more minutes..
- Stir together cornstarch and tablespoon water. Pour into the apple mixture and mix well. Cook until sauce has thickened ( about one minute). Remove from heat and cool slightly..
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Unfold puff pastry sheets, Trim each sheet into a square and then cut each large square into four smaller squares..
- Spoon apple mixture onto the enter of eah square and then fold from corner to corner making a triangle. Press the edges together to seal ..
- Place turnovers onto a baking sheet (You may want to lightly grease sheet) leaving a little space between each one..
- Back for 25 minutes or until turnovers are puffed and lightly browned. Cool before glazing..
- To make glaze mix confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla into a bowl. Adjust the thickness by adding sugar or milk accordingly..
- Drizzle glaze over turnovers..
In a medium bowl, combine chopped apples, lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Using a slotted spoon, scoop a portion of the apple mixture into the center of each puff pastry square then fold the pastry across diagonally to form triangles. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. In a small bowl, combine the butter, sugar and cinnamon; brush over pastry. Serve warm with ice cream if desired.