Herbed standing rib roast. Place onions, carrots and celery in a large roasting pan; place roast over vegetables. In a spice grinder, combine fennel seed, thyme, and rosemary and process into a powder. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
Place roast on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Combine salt, pepper, basil, parsley and marjoram; rub over roast. Place fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan. You can have Herbed standing rib roast using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Herbed standing rib roast
- You need 3 tablespoons of grated onion.
- You need 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Prepare 4 of garlic cloves, minced.
- You need 2 teaspoons of celery seed.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of coarsely ground pepper.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of paprika.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1 of bone- in beef rib roast (6 to 7 lbs.).
- Prepare 2 of large onions, cut into wedges.
- It’s 2 of large carrots, cut into 2 wedges.
- It’s 2 of celery ribs, into 2-inch pieces.
- It’s 1/4 cup of red wine or beef broth assorted herbs and fruit, optional.
Brush mustard on top side of rib roast. Coat mustard-slathered area with herb mixture, patting herbs down gently to fully adhere to mustard. To prepare rib roast, remove the excess fat from the bottom of the roast, and then trim the layer of fat from the top rounded side. For easy cleanup, line shallow roasting pan with foil.
Herbed standing rib roast step by step
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; rub over roast. Place the onions, carrots and celery in a large roasting pan; place roast over vegetables..
- Bake, uncovered, at 350F. For 2 1/4 to 3 hours or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium- rare, at thermometer should read 145F. Medium, 160F. Well done, 170).
- Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm; let stand for 15 minutes before slicing..
- Meanwhile, for au jus, strain and discard vegetables. Pour drippings into a measuring cup; skim fat. Add wine to roasting pan, stirring to remove any browned bits. Stir in drippings; heat through. Serve with roast. Garnish platter with herbs and fruit if desired..
Place beef, fat side up, in pan. In small bowl, mix basil, thyme, salt, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle and press onto all surfaces of roast. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of beef and does not rest in fat or touch bone. Put the rib roast in a large roasting pan and set aside. Place meat on rack in shallow roasting pan.