Fabulous French Onion Soup. Gradually add in water, soup bases, and seasonings. Meanwhile, toast one side of the bread, under oven broiler, until golden brown. Once onions are browned and softened, add wine and garlic. salt, to taste. thickly sliced French bread baguette.
Ingredients of Fabulous French Onion Soup
- It’s of Beef Broth.
- Prepare 3 each of beef rib roast bones ( with some meat).
- It’s 5 of beef bullion cubes.
- It’s 1 of bayleaf.
- It’s 64 oz of water.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of dry red wine.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of fresh ground pepper.
- It’s 4 large of sliced onions.
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Prepare 2 tsp of gravy masters.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 1 cup of Gruyere or a good swiss cheese.
- You need 1 loaf of french bread.
- You need 1 pinch of salt to taste.
The crying….from cutting the many (many. With no wrinkled nose ingredients to avoid, the obvious choice was French onion soup. I have made French onion soup a few times but never have put chunks of meat into the soup. It did seem like a good way to make the soup more filling.
Fabulous French Onion Soup step by step
- Simmer the beef rib bones along with the bay leaf, crushed red pepper, bullion cubes and 64 ounces of water until the beef falls off the bone. Leave covered during simmering.
- When beef falls off the bone pull bones out of the broth. Pull the extra meat off bones and put in broth. set the broth aside to cool and skim off the fat. Also remember to pull out the bay leaf and discard..
- While the beef broth is cooling you can start slicing onions and simmering them with the 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil until they are golden brown. This will take about 30 minutes.
- When the onions are golden brown and tender. This is when I add the gravy masters, and mix in well. Now add the tablespoon of flour, mix flour around. ( also adding the flour helps to thicken the soup a bit, but you don't want it as thick as stew).
- After the broth is cool and fat is skimmed add the half of cup of red dry wine. Start warming broth back up. When the onion and flour mixture is browned slowly add about 1 cup of the wine broth mixture blend well. Now add the rest of the broth. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 30 more minutes.
- Just before you're ready to serve turn on your broiler. Add soup into bowls, add sliced French bread and top with the Swiss cheese. Broil until cheese is a nice golden brown..
- Serve hot bowls on a smaller plate. Please remind your guests and or family members that the bowls are very very hot!.
Plus, a new addition to this soup was using dry vermouth instead of white wine or a splash of cognac. Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Learn how to cook French Onion Soup in your Instant Pot. This is French onion soup made the easy way! It's the perfect starter for fall or winter dinners.