You can have Mommom's Pierogi using 9 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mommom's Pierogi
- It’s 5 lbs of potatoes.
- You need 2 lbs of mixed cheese.
- You need of flour.
- Prepare of eggs.
- Prepare of sour cream.
- It’s of onions.
- Prepare of butter.
- Prepare of salt.
- It’s of pepper.
Mommom's Pierogi instructions
- 5lbs of potatoes makes about 100 pierogi. We always made a lot at one time because they take a lot of time to make. Mommom always had a large group together to make them and split up the duties. She would do 10 to 20 lbs of potatoes at a time..
- Peel, cube and boil the potatoes..
- Sauté an onion in a stick of butter..
- I used a mixer to mash the potatoes. Add the onion and butter mixture and cheese. I said 2 lbs but you can make it as cheesy as you like. My mommom always made them so cheesy the mashed potatoes were stretchy..
- To make the dough (i don't have measurements for this because we always did it by feel) You may have to make more than 1 batch of dough. We had to make a 2nd batch..
- Add flour to a large mixing bowl and add two eggs and some sour cream. Mix with your hand if the mixture is dry add some more sour cream. Once the mixture comes together kneed on the counter. The mixture will become sticky just add more flour. Let dough sit for about 10 minute..
- Set a large pot on the stove to boil..
- Roll a piece of dough out as thin as you can get it. While rolling out the dough you will need to add more flour and make sure you have plenty on the counter under the dough. Use a biscuit cutter or large glass to cut a circle. Place about a tablespoonful of potato mixture fold over dough and pinch closed. Your going to be making half moon shapes..
- Once you have some made place a few at a time into the pot of boiling water. Once they float, this happens quickly, remove from pot. If you want to freeze them you stop at this point and let them cool and freeze. If your eating them right away continue to the next step..
- If your going to eat these the same night put a sauté pan on with onions, as much as you like, and butter. You may go through a couple lbs of butter with this recipe..
- Put the boiled pierogis in the saute pan with butter and onions until lightly golden brown. Once golden brown they are ready to eat. My family always ate them with a little sour cream and a side of sauerkraut..