Squash Lasagna. Scrape flesh from butternut squash into a bowl; stir with a fork until evenly mashed. Stir ginger, salt, and pepper into mashed butternut. Use a vegetable peeler to peel the yellow squash into ribbons.
Add the water, tomato paste, parsley and seasonings. Place squash in a single layer on paper towels. Press with additional paper towels to remove excess moisture. You can have Squash Lasagna using 12 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Squash Lasagna
- It’s 1 can of tomato paste.
- You need 10 of roma tomatoes.
- You need 1 bunch of basil.
- It’s 1 of large purple onion.
- You need 1 clove of garlic.
- You need 2 lbs of ground beef.
- It’s 1 lb of ground sausage.
- It’s 6-10 of zucchini and/or yellow squash.
- You need 2 pint of containers of ricotta cheese.
- It’s 1 block of mozzarella.
- You need of Olive oil.
- Prepare of Itallian seasoning or equivalent fresh herbs.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Mix half of the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, and Parmesan cheese together in a bowl. Ladle half of the spaghetti sauce on top. Summer squash lasagna, looks and tastes very similar to a traditional lasagna recipe but much healthier!
Squash Lasagna step by step
- Chop onions, tomatoes, basil, and garlic to desired size. I'm pretty rough with this and call it rustic..
- Cut squash in rounds with mandolin..
- Brown Meat in a little olive oil. I like to do this in a cast iron pan. Drain and set aside..
- Carmelize onions in olive oil and/or meat drippings. I'll usually just toss them in the same cast iron. Then add fresh basil, garlic, and tomatoes. A few minutes later add tomato paste and seasoning..
- Add in meat and mix together. Remove from heat..
- Create bottom layer of squash in a casserole pan..
- Add sauce to casserole pan..
- Add layer of ricotta cheese to casserole pan..
- Add top layer of squash in casserole pan..
- Slice rough rounds of mozzarella for top of casserole pan..
- Bake in oven for 30-45 mins on 350 until cheese is melted to your preference..
Make with either zucchini or yellow squash that is thinly sliced lengthwise with either a mandoline slicer or a knife. My rich, saucy lasagna features winter squash at its finest. The whipped cream topping adds a unique twist to this meatless casserole packed with roasted butternut squash, two kinds of cheese and a host of seasonings. Butternut squash is roasted with garlic until both become tender and caramelized, then they're blended with creamy cashews, lemon juice, salt, nutritional yeast (optional), and water. Spread ¾ cup of the squash puree in bottom of prepared dish.