Baked Ziti. Cook the ziti until not quite al dente. Boil ziti, following package directions, drain and place in a large bowl. Mix all the ricotta cheese and half of the mozzarella with the ziti.
Pour remaining sauce on top of ziti. Baked ziti is classic Italian-American comfort food! Bake ziti pasta with sausage, tomato sauce, and all kinds of gooey, yummy cheeses. You can make Baked Ziti using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baked Ziti
- You need 1 lb of Hot or sweet Italian turkey sausage.
- You need 1 of onion, chopped.
- You need 3 clove of sliced garlic.
- You need 28 oz of plain diced tomatoes.
- You need 15 oz of tomato sauce.
- It’s 2 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of salt.
- You need 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- It’s 14 1/2 oz of basil and oregano diced tomatoes.
- It’s 1 tsp of dried basil leaves or half cup fresh basil chopped.
- It’s 16 oz of Ziti.
- It’s 8 oz of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- It’s 1 packages of sliced provolone.
- You need 1/4 cup of grated parmesan or romano cheese.
This easy baked ziti recipe is always a hit! Baked Ziti is a classic baked pasta dish. It's basically some kind of tomato or meat sauce baked in a dish with some kind of cheese and, of course, ziti noodles—unless you're me, then you use mostaciolli noodles. Some people just use tomato/marinara sauce.
Baked Ziti instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375. Crumble the sausage into a 3 quart saucepan. Cook for 8 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain the fat..
- In another pot, add the onion and saute for about 4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in the plain tomatoes with their juice. Stir in the sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the sausage, seasoned tomatoes, and the basil..
- Boil the Ziti, drain, then return to the pot. Coat the Ziti in just enough sauce to coat it. Layer half of the Ziti in a 13 by 9 pan. Top with the provolone overlapping the slices as needed. Add the rest of the Ziti, then the mozzarella cheese. Pour the last of the sauce over the top and sprinkle with parmesan and romano cheese. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until bubbly around the edges and lightly brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes and enjoy!.
- Optional: save some of the mozzarella as a topping and add extra seasonings on top before placing it in the oven..
That, of course, would never fly in this house. Baked ziti can become dry for several reasons. When assembling the dish, be sure to cover the pasta with enough of the sauce so that the noodles don't dry out. Also, to prevent moisture from evaporating while cooking, cover the dish tightly with foil. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.