Plum, fig and almond cake. Figs are baked into an almond batter for this rustic cake to have with coffee or tea. A ripe fig (the object of your desire) is soft, yielding, beginning to crack, nearly wrinkled. Is it a tart or a cake – I'm opting for cake (I think).
Fresh figs and ripe plums crown the top of this buttery, almond-scented snack cake. Put your best fruit forward in this seasonal snack cake that features fresh plums and figs. A buttery crust lays the foundation for a nutty frangipane filling, and the juicy slices caramelize on top. You can make Plum, fig and almond cake using 10 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you make it.
Ingredients of Plum, fig and almond cake
- You need of ground almonds.
- Prepare of unrefined golden caster sugar plus 50g for topping.
- It’s of plain flour.
- It’s of salt.
- It’s of large eggs.
- It’s of milk.
- You need of almond extract.
- It’s of butter.
- It’s of plums.
- Prepare of figs.
Whisk flour, almond meal, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. The juicy fruit is newly in season and delicious in both savoury and Sharp plums or damsons are placed atop a simple almond and polenta cake. Flourless and dairy-free, it is not intentionally health conscious; it just ends. I am sad to say that I am getting very close to the end of my fresh figs.
Plum, fig and almond cake step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180°. Butter a 25cm springform cake tin..
- Mix together the almonds, sugar, flour and salt in the bowl of a Kitchenaid mixer or similar, or just in a large mixing bowl..
- In a separate jug, beat the eggs, add the milk and almond extract, and then stir in the melted butter..
- Add the contents of the jug to the dry ingredients and beat well until you have a smooth batter..
- Scrape the batter into the cake tin..
- Half and de-stone your plums, then chop each half into four slices. Quarter your figs without quite cutting through the base so that you can open the fruit out into a four-petalled flower..
- Scatter the plum slices evenly over the batter, then arrange the figs on top. Sprinkle the extra 1/4 cup of sugar over the top..
- Bake for 45 minutes until the top is golden and a skewer pushed into the center of the cake comes out clean..
The two trees that I pick from are just about finished and I may I originally made this recipe using Italian prune plums and found it delicious, but since the original New York Times recipe used fresh figs, I decided I. The kids are back at school. The kitchen is half finished and a bit of a tip. What to do in the midst of a building site? With six big bruise-coloured plums and three plump figs lurking in the fruit bowl, the decision made itself.