Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs. Whisk in pomegranate juice and wine and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Return ribs to pot, cover, and transfer to oven. With a slotted spoon, carefully transfer ribs to a large platter.
Ingredients of Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs
- It’s 4-5 lbs of short ribs, English cut.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of salt.
- Prepare 1 of onion, diced.
- You need 1 of carrot, diced.
- You need 2 Tbsp of ras el hanout.
- Prepare 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- You need 4 cups of pomegranate juice.
- You need 1 cup of water.
- It’s 1 of Bou beef bouillon cube.
- Prepare 1 cup of pitted prunes, halved.
- It’s 1 handful of cilantro, roughly chopped.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of toasted sesame seeds.
- It’s of ras el hanout.
- It’s 12 of green cardamom pods.
- Prepare 4 of black cardamom pods.
- Prepare 4 tsp of cumin seed.
- Prepare 4 tsp of coriander seed.
- You need 2 tsp of anise.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of allspice berries.
- It’s 1/2 tsp of black peppercorns.
- You need 4 tsp of ground ginger.
- It’s 2 tsp of Aleppo pepper.
- It’s 2 tsp of ground nutmeg.
- Prepare 2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
The pomegranate flavor lends the perfect wintery tang and sweetness to this hearty dish that will impress anyone you serve it to, especially during the holidays. Season with salt and pepper to taste. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown ribs on all sides in batches.
Pomegranate Braised Short Ribs step by step
- Heat the oven to 450°F. If you have a convection oven use it..
- In a large roaster or sheet pan, lay out the short ribs, bone side down. Season liberally with salt..
- Roast in the oven 40-45 min until browned and the fat has rendered. Remove the ribs from the pan, pour the fat off into a glass bowl, and return the ribs to the pan and roast another 10-15 min..
- While the ribs are roasting prepare the other ingredients..
- When the ribs are about 5 minutes from done, heat 1 Tbsp of the beef fat in a dutch oven over high heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until translucent (~5 min).
- Add the garlic and ras el hanout and cook another 30 sec..
- Add the water and beef bouillon and turn the heat to low..
- Remove the ribs from the pan and add them to the dutch oven. Add the prunes on top. Turn the oven down to 300°F..
- In the still hot pan, add the pomegranate juice..
- Scrape the fond up with a whisk or wooden spoon..
- Add the pomegranate to the ribs..
- Cover and place in the oven for 2-2.5 hours..
- Remove the dutch oven from oven..
- Place the ribs in a bowl..
- Add the braising liquid, veggies, and any meat scraps to a blender and blend until smooth..
- Return the sauce to the dutch oven, and add the ribs to coat. Toss with cilantro and sesame seeds..
In a large bowl or ziplock bag, combine the pomegranate molasses, soy sauce, sugar, honey and garlic. Add the short ribs, toss to coat and place in the fridge overnight. Follow recipe according to directions, baking until short ribs are fall apart tender. When ready reheat, scrape off the hardened fat from the top of the meat. It is so aromatic, tender, juicy, and rich that the slightly acid pomegranate proves the perfect fruit of contrast.