Caprese Salad. Caprese salad has to be one of my favorite summertime treats. Arrange the tomatoes, cheese and basil on a serving platter. Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients; drizzle over salad.
Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl or cruet. Caprese (pronounced "cah-preh-zseh") is a classic Italian summer salad. The name literally means Capri — the isle where the salad is believed to have originated. You can make Caprese Salad using 6 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Caprese Salad
- It’s of Campari Tomatoes.
- Prepare of Truffle Burrata Cheese.
- Prepare of Fresh Basil.
- It’s of Balsamic Vinegar (have fun with different flavors).
- It’s of Pink & Black Peppercorns.
- Prepare of Sea Salt.
It is typically made from sliced fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil leaves, olive oil dressing, and a touch of either balsamic or honey. So I make my Caprese Salad with a vinaigrette for the main dressing then drizzle it with a balsamic glaze for an extra burst burst of flavour just before serving. The Dressing that everybody thinks of as Caprese Salad Dressing is a balsamic glaze, also known as balsamic reduction. Caprese Salad or Insalata Caprese or tomato, mozzarella and basil salad is a cult dish of Italian cuisine.
Caprese Salad instructions
- Pour Balsamic Vinegar into a small sauce pan over med-low heat. Let reduce by half. This takes about 10 mins. This part can go bad quickly- keep watching and stir a few times. It's ready when it coats the back of a spoon when you hold it up. If you let it go too long, it will turn hard when it cools and stick in your teeth like Taffy. You will have to start over..
- Slice Tomatoes 🍅 and Chiffonade Basil. Chiffonade means to roll the leaf up then slice thinly. (This is what gives you those beautiful "ribbons").
- Get a small appetizer plate and place tomatoes first, then top with half of the Truffle Burrata Cheese ball. Next place Basil, salt and freshly ground Peppercorns. Last, top with Balsamic Vinegar..
The first printed mention of the Caprese salad was on a menu at the Hotel Quisisana. After the initial positive response, Caprese salad was enjoyed by many but failed to really catch fire. At that point, the rest is history! What if you want to make a Caprese salad during the winter or spring? You don't go skiing in the summer, you don't go apple-picking in the spring, and you don't make a Caprese salad any time of year other than during tomato season.