Baked Ziti. Taste Delicious, Italian-Inspired Pasta Recipes From Classico. Cook the ziti until not quite al dente. Boil ziti, following package directions, drain and place in a large bowl.
Ingredients of Baked Ziti
- It’s 1 tbsp. of olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 lb. of ground beef.
- Prepare 1 lb. of ziti noodles.
- You need 1 can (28 oz.) of unsalted crushed tomatoes.
- You need 1 can (14.5 oz.) of unsalted diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 can (8 oz.) of unsalted tomato sauce.
- Prepare 2 tsp. of each sugar, dried basil.
- You need 1 tsp. of each salt, Italian seasoning.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of dried oregano.
- It’s 1 container (15 oz.) of ricotta cheese.
- You need 2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, divided.
- You need 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese.
Bake ziti pasta with sausage, tomato sauce, and all kinds of gooey, yummy cheeses. This easy baked ziti recipe is always a hit! Baked Ziti is a classic baked pasta dish. It's basically some kind of tomato or meat sauce baked in a dish with some kind of cheese and, of course, ziti noodles—unless you're me, then you use mostaciolli noodles.
Baked Ziti instructions
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over med-low heat. Once its hot, add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent. Then stir in the garlic and cook another 2 or so minutes, until fragrant. Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink, breaking it apart as you cook. Drain out any excess fat, if needed..
- Add all of the canned tomatoes, seasonings and sugar. Once it comes to a simmer, reduce the heat down to low, then let it simmer lightly for 15 or so minutes, while you cook the pasta..
- In a seperate large pot, heat up salted water over high heat. Once it comes to a boil, cook the pasta according to the package directions, then drain it, toss lightly with a splash of olive oil and return it to the empty pot. Toss the ricotta cheese with the hot pasta. Then stir in all but about a cup or so of the sauce and toss it all together..
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×13" baking pan. Spread half of the pasta mixture out into the pan. Then sprinkle half the mozzarella and parmesan cheese over the top of it. Top with the remaining pasta, then spread the remaining sauce evenly over the top, especially around the edges. Top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese..
- Bake uncovered for 30 or so minutes, until heated through and the cheese over the top has started to brown. Serve immediately and enjoy!.
Some people just use tomato/marinara sauce. That, of course, would never fly in this house. Baked ziti can become dry for several reasons. When assembling the dish, be sure to cover the pasta with enough of the sauce so that the noodles don't dry out. Also, to prevent moisture from evaporating while cooking, cover the dish tightly with foil.